Friday, July 17, 2009

Life on the Ranch

Part One: The Fence

Life on the Waite Ranch can be very interesting from time to time. Dad and Uncle Ronny run the show, and the rest of us tag along to help out. Every year we get together, round up the cows, and brand them. Shortly after we brand the cows, we then take them up to Starky to graze for the Summer.

Last month we did just that. Uncle Ronny, Aunt Gwen, Brian and Krissy showed up to help Mom, Dad, and I round up the cows and load them up in the trailers to take to Starky. We gathered around the 4-Wheelers and Uncle Ronny said, "What's the plan?" Over the years, we've learned that the answer to that question is: Chaos.

So we chased the cows with the 4-Wheelers and got them into the barn yard. Luckily most of the cows went in the right direction. There was only one cow and her calf that took off running the wrong direction. Uncle Ronny went after them with his 4-Wheeler going about 2 MPH. The cow and calf were running about 4 MPH. I don't think I need to do the math for you.

Once in the barn yard, we had to separate the cows into smaller groups. That was the job of "The Fence." Working for Dad and Uncle Ronny, we lose our individual identities and collectively become "The Fence." Uncle Ronny would say, "Fence, go here. Fence, go there." And we, the fence--Aunt Gwen, Brian, Krissy, Mom, and I--would run after the cows. Surprisingly the task went much better this year than in years past. The cows were loaded (somehow they fit) and taken to Starky. So job was complete....or so we thought.

Part Two: The Calf in the Mire

The next day was Sunday and somehow we realized we missed taking one calf up to Starky with his mother. So Dad comes in and says he needs my help and it would only take 30 minutes (which over the years we have learned to double or triple the amount of time dad tells us. Heather learned that one Summer when she came home to visit. Dad said he needed our help. He said we didn't need to get out of our PJ's and it would only take a short amount of time. Three hours later running in the mountains in our PJ's we were chasing t he cows back down the hill). So I knew it would take longer then 30 minutes, but I realized that meant I would probably get to miss most of church, so I was okay with that.

Dad said it would be simple. He said the calf was small, so we could catch it, tie it up, and he would stick it in the cab of the truck with him. He said the calf was this big:


But really it was this big:



So basically we had to tackle this calf to the ground and hog tie it. Somehow we shoved it in the back of the truck (because Dad realized it was a bit bigger then he first thought). Dad sat on the calf while I drove down to the house. We recruited mom to drive to Starky so both of us could keep the calf down. Dad gave mom only one instruction: Drive Fast! And fast she drove. So now image Dad and I in the back of this truck:



Now imagine mom flying down the freeway, while it's raining, with Dad and I holding down this large, angry calf. All of the sudden I feel my pocket vibrating. Sure enough, my mom was calling (and we all know mom likes to talk). The first thing she tells me is "I tried calling Reed, but of course he doesn't answer. He never answers when I call." Then she got to the point and needed to know how to get the truck out of 4-Wheel drive. We gave her the instructions and felt the truck go into neutral and the truck began to slow down...and slow down...and slow down...until the blinker turned on and we pulled off to the side fo the road. She jumped out and said she couldn't get it back into 2-Wheel drive, so Dad jumped in the cab and began to take off with me to hold down the angry calf alone, and mom on the side of the road. Mom was worried that Dad was going to forget her on the side of the freeway (and she would have never let him forget that if he really did forget her on the freeway).

Now that the truck was in 2-Wheel drive, mom began to fly down the freeway again. Eventually we made it to Starky and began to drive up the dirt road. Since it was rainy and wet, we couldn't drive all the way up, so we parked a little ways away from the gate. Dad shoved the calf out that back of the truck, and I grabbed the rope around his neck. Mom went ahead of me to open the gate (we should have down that first) and the calf and I followed behind. I told mom to hurry and she said she would run and get there before we did. Dad said, "You'll have to run faster then the calf." The calf took off running and drug me along. Both mom and I were slipping and sliding on the wet mud. If only we got this on film, it would have been a YouTube hit. I can't remember who got there first, but my guess is the calf. Eventually we got the calf in the right direction and to its mother.

The best part of the ordeal was I got to skip most of church. The Calf was in the Mire, right? I think mom and I aren't as excited about these experiences as Dad is. After this last experience, we posted this sign:



But so far no takers. Next we will try Craig's List.

5 comments:

  1. I would like to tell my version of the unforgettable Sunday. Reed doesn't bother to tell me things like "we are out one calf". Because he knows that I would go looking for that calf all day if I had to to make sure that we got it back to it's mother. So in his wisdom, he knows that he would only have to wait overnight and then in the morning listen for the bellowing calf. My first clue that morning was that Reed was dressed for church then the next thing I notice is that he has his jeans on and some farm shirt over his white Sunday shirt. And then he says I need to go check on a calf. Then he comes back in later to request Jordan's help. It wasn't until they came back later and requested my help by driving the farm truck, I knew they were desparate. All the things Jordan described were true, however he didn't tell you how I have an aversion to driving the farm truck. I was literally white knuckled the whole way. I felt intense pressure from the occupants in the back of the truck. There were times I wanted to cry. Especially when I saw that there was less than a 1/4 of a tank of gas in truck. I was silently praying that the other tank was full. You should have seen Jordan being literally drug by the calf when we trying to get it back to the pasture. Even at 52 I can still run. I just barely beat the calf to the first gate. Then I had to run to the second gate and find the key and unlock it before the calf and Jordan arrived. Then to see Reed, Jordan and the calf on a leash walking down into the pasture to reunite the baby with it's mother was a sight to behold. One would think that they were walking a dog. The little calf was happily swishing it's tail while they were walking it back to the momma cow. And now the rest of the story. After I shared with Reed my concern about the gas situation....he only said that when he switches the tank he does it when the tank is at 1/4. So he assured me that there would be at least that much in the other tank. Well when he switched the tanks. The gas gage went down to empty. We made it back to home on fumes. And that is the truth.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh... i think we all have quite a few funny moments on the farm. Too bad my memory is so poor that I don't remember any of them. Mosly I remember Heather saying "come on men" to some big farm task that she would "help" with. Too funny. Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before the bail wagon started making 100 lb. bales I was much more help -- I could lift those 30 to 40 lb.-ers! Too funny, Jordan. I would have loved to be there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, the Waite men and their good farming ideas! I remember my dad's idea to taking a calf that was rejected by it's mother to his house. I got to sit on the calf in the back of the truck the entire way from your place to my dad's, and let me tell you, those little things are a lot stronger than they look! I was sore for days after my calf wrestling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great adventures we all have on "the farm", or more specifically, with "the cows". Neither your dad nor Ron has a good sense of how long such tasks take! You really did have a "calf in the mire". . .but still, should you be publishing how much you enjoy missing church? Would any of your cousins feel the same way?. . .Well. . .Duh, Yes!! Great story!

    ReplyDelete