
On Christmas Eve my mom and I even sun bathed in the backyard and got a pretty good tan (and no tan lines might I add).
But last year was quite the opposite. When I arrived home from serving in the North Carolina Raleigh Mission in December 2008, this is what I came home to:
We couldn't get into the front of the house because the drift was about seven feet tall at the peak and extended from the front door to the gravel parking spot. We had to make a path through the back yard and to the garage in order to get into the house.
On Saturday--the day of the Waite Family Christmas Party and the day before my homecoming talk--we had a blizzard and weren't able to get out by driving on our gravel lane. So we had to pack up, bundle up, cut through our neighbor's fences, and drive with 4-wheel drive vehicles through hay fields in order to get out. That night we stayed at my grandma's house.We had to leave Tony and Heather's car behind:

The next day I gave my talk and had the party. Eventually my dad cleared out the lane and Sunday evening we moved back in. Shortly after arriving back home, luck would have it, our power went out. But mom was a prepared boy scout and had her head lamp:
So if you wonder what kind of weather we will have next Christmas, just give Heather a call and ask if they're coming home. If they are, it will probably be a bad winter with many blizzards. We don't read the Farmers Almanac, we just check Heather's plans.
O.K. so you could have taken a better picture of me. Good grief! I look as if I have been in a blizzard. And as for no tan lines. I must have been looped with my pain meds to be out sunbathing on Christmas Eve day! But I am enjoying the mild winter.
ReplyDeleteI'm almost certain it will snow on MLK day -- the day we arrive :).
ReplyDeleteWe are grateful it was a mild Christmas break weather wise. It is always so stressful when we know it's our year to go to La Grande for Christmas.
ReplyDeleteI find it very funny as well and couldn't have said it better myself! But, I don't think words or even pictures explain how bad that storm was. Always an adventure! (especially when you live where your parents do)
ReplyDelete