Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Misfits Island

Correct me if I am wrong, but I heard that Australia was populated a long time ago with criminals from England and other places. The punishment for the criminals was being exiled to Australia.

I think there should be another island for misfits like my mom and me (and others who have the label of misfits). My mom and I will be co-presidents. The only rule would be that anything goes unless it harms others. Taxes will be low, I promise.

The reason I have decided to move to Misfits Island is because I am "The Heathen" in my apartment. In the beginning of the semester we had an apartment council to create "The Constitution" in our apartment which includes rules about dishes, conflicts, and when we have prayers in the morning and scripture study at night. I told my roommates that I wasn't going to wake up for prayers in the morning and if I happened to be there for scripture study, that's great, but if not, not to wait for me.

We had another follow-up apartment council to discuss how well we were doing at living "The Constitution" and bring up other issues (does any other 20-something year-old roommates have apartment councils, or are we the only weird and crazy ones?). At the end of our apartment council one of my roommates brought to our attention that we would" feel the spirit more if we didn't use sarcasm." Instead of saying something sarcastic, he encouraged us to think of something sincere to say.

I, being the most sarcastic in the apartment, was thrilled for this new amendment to the constitution. It made me feel warm and fuzzy inside to know that I was the reason that my roommate couldn't feel the spirit in our apartment because of my sarcastic sense of humor and personality.

You know that saying, "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all?" For me the saying goes, "If you don't have anything that isn't sarcastic to say, don't say anything at all. So I have been pretty quiet recently in my apartment. All my thoughts are sarcastic.

Even though some of my roommates are stuffed-shirts with Peter Priesthood personalities, they have good intentions. I know if I ever need anything they would be there to help me (in a very sincere, non-sarcastic way).

So if you are a "misfit" and want to join my mom and me on Misfits Island, we are taking applications. Just mail you application to:

Misfits Island Co.
Attn: Hell Raisers
666 Slippery Paths
Inferno, HL 12345

10 comments:

  1. Apartment family prayer and scripture study is really weird. I mean that's bordering on we're going to start our own compound and have 8-yrs of food storage weird. Anyway, I would just let them know you're not a strict constructionalist when it comes to the apartment constitution and that you, like the brilliant jurist Earl Warren, believe in a developmentalist approach. If they still push their marxist agenda on you, just tell them you've voted for Jordan's/states' rights and have therefore freed yourself from the constricts of the apartment constitution. Losers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ONLY THE WEIRD AND CRAZY ONES!!! It's one thing to respect the people you live with -- e.g. not leave dirty dishes in the sink. It's weird to mistake the roommate relationship for something more -- it's NOT marriage. Obviously even my Utah County-raised, BYU-two-degrees-over, father-lifetime-church-employee husband thinks so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mormon college is a interesting culture isn't it. As a college student, me and many other mormon girls would visit Rob and his roomates at his apartment. Obviously, I think Rob turned out pretty good, but so did his other roomates. We used to nickname the place Sodom and Gomora! I could tell you stories! Usually there was no prayer, they were true heathens at that place. The interesting thing is while Rob lived there, one of his roomates Mom died of Cancer. Right after they got the call she had passed away, all the heathens said a prayer together. Rob still remembers that as a pretty interesting experience with prayer. So, prayer is good, but I would agree your roomates sound like freaks! You could transfer to a wild college and have a different set of problems? Hang in there. Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I am all about emancipation! Free yourself from apartment prison. I would think that if your roommates were truly Christ-like, then they would celebrate diversity and practice unconditional love and not engage in the pious behaviors that are often given as example in the scriptures. I still say "He who is without sin, cast the first stone." Be strong and sarcastic to the end. Love mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm overnighting my application.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, personally, love your sarcastic sense of humor! You have some boring roomates who don't really believe in free agancy. We all know that prayer and scripture study are good things--but not when they're forced. Consider this my application!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I have that stupid "misfit island" song stuck in my head. We watched too much rudolph during the holidays. I find that people here can't read my sarcasm at all because I deliver it so seriously. My bishop told us in tithing settlement that he is alwasy worried he is offending me and can never tell when I am kidding. Good Luck! I miss your sarcasm. People in my neck of the woods really like boyscout humor:( that tends to make me want to throw up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dude. Sign me up.

    P.S. what is boy scout humor? Is that an actual thing?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not exactly sure what boy scout humor is. But I think it is very dumb and immature humor that young teen boys would use.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would just like to say that not all of Jonah's roommates are like that.

    ReplyDelete