Tuesday, August 3, 2010

250 Can Friend

Last semester I was the Area Director of Service Activities. If students had an idea for a service project, they had to go through my adviser and me in order to get the approval to go ahead with their project. For the most part, if they project followed the University's guidelines, then the project was approved.

Two students came to me and want to do a "Charity Date Auction." Basically students could fill out an application to auction themselves off for a date with the person who bids the most for them. Because of certain policies, we weren't allow to bid on people with money, so we bid with cans. All the cans would then be given to the Rexburg Family Crisis Center.

I convinced my friends to fill out applications, and three of them were chosen. The event was fun. All the "meat" came out on the stage to begin. Then they left and one by one, each person being auctioned off would come on stage. Music would play and a clip from their video interview would be in the background. Then the bids would start. All three of my friends went for over 200 cans. Another friend and I were in the audience and we bid against each other for one of our friends on the stage. We won the date with her for 250 cans.

Overall, we raised 5000 plus cans of food and other items for the Family Crisis Center. This was such a success that we want to do it at least once a year.

Here are my three friends who were auctioned off:


Here is my friend that we bid on, and the cans/items she is worth:


I guess this is the modern day Johny Lingo.

4 comments:

  1. Were the "certain policies," by chance, anti-prostitution policies?!? :) What a fun idea for a fundraiser/charity event....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty much the university doesn't let us to anything. I kind of got burned out/pissed off that our ideas were always shut down. They wanted us to "change" and "grow" the activities program, but every idea was shot down.

    By the way, it was equal prostitution. Both guys and girls were auctioned off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why didn't you go on the auction block?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't want the food bank to go hungry.

    ReplyDelete