Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Garden of Eden: Clothes Are Optional

I decided since this would be the first Summer that I didn't live at home (excluding my mission years) I would plant a garden at my apartment complex. I asked permission to plant in this square box in front of my old apartment. I knew I would most likely get permission since every Summer the box is usually full of weeds.

One Saturday I bought tomato plants and seeds for green beans and peas. I went out to the garden and began to weed and water. Eventually, others in the apartment complex were curious what I was doing and they joined me. Here they are:


It was a good thing I just pulled weeds and tilled the dirt that week without planting because the next week Rexburg looked like this:


But that was the last snow of the year, so I began to plant:


Finally a few weeks later the peas began to sprout:


And as of a week ago, this is what my garden looks like:


I really should have taken another picture because the garden is about twice as big as this picture shows. The peas now have pods (and almost ready to harvest) and one of my three tomato plants has an almost red tomato (with about 18 green tomatoes). I am still waiting for green beans to show.

I wanted to put a sign in my garden that says:

The Garden of Eden
Clothes are Optional

But my manager said it probably wouldn't be approved by the University. Oh, well. I am just excited in a few weeks when I can harvest my little garden.

6 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I think your sign is very clever too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOur family seems to have a knack for gardening. Chris loves the garden. I will admit that your looks better than ours though

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably because it is a lot smaller so there is less to take care of. Plus, Chris is an artist. So he can use that as an excuse and say that he garden is creative and original. I can't use that excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my garden would be considered a "happy accident" in art terms. It is more of an accidental garden since after planting we tilled up all the seeds. I did till in a spiral starting from the outside so all the seeds got tilled into a swirling center. I wasn't even going to garden after that, but it rained so much that the seeds sprouted. BTW Gibson liked the optional clothing thing. He has been naked in our garden a few times. Luckily he hasn't peed in the garden yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Afton must think the whole world, but especially our back yard, is the garden of eden, as she is perpetually "clothing optional." (Last night, with her cousins over, Afton stripped down to nothing and helped make a mud pit out of the sandbox.) And, I don't think I inherited a knack for gardening as my basil plants in their pots are got four inches high and stopped grown....Your garden looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden looks fabulous!!! I would like to try the optional clothing thing....but you never know who is going to show up out here.

    ReplyDelete