It was a moment like someone has when they wonder which religious path to take (except much less spiritual, and probably eternally much less important). I then got out of bed and took a shower where many of my best ideas originate, and by the time I was finished showering decided to talk to the academic advising office and change my major.

I walked into the office and declared that I was no longer an accounting major, but instead I was switching to Humanities! Okay that part was a lie. I actually asked if I could switch to Business Management with an emphasis in Finance. I originally was an Accounting major with a cluster in Business Management, but I swapped those two around and now I am a Business Management major and a cluster in Accounting.
I had to jump through six hoops to get my first signature, jump through ten more hoops to get the second signature, just to get the final approval. After a week of waiting and wondering, I found out they let me make the switch. I feel so much better and wondered why it took me this long to make the change. I have really enjoyed my business classes, but dreaded my accounting classes. I realized I didn't want to sit in a cubicle my entire life making sure the debits and credits balanced, or spend tax season after tax season working on others taxes. Instead I would much rather understand finance and investments, to help others make important financial decisions.

Just as a side note, I did get the internship with Lanny Hildebrandt and will get to be in La Grande from January to April. I am excited not to have homework for the next few months and to get out of Rexburg!
Garry always says it's best if you can love what you do for work. Some people don't get that priveledge. Good luck with whatever you choose, you'll be great at it I'm sure!
ReplyDeleteWe are so happy everything worked out. And very excited to have you home for a semester!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the internship and changing majors. I'm glad you feel good about the changes--no sense continuing if it is making you miserable!
ReplyDeleteIt just so happens that I went through almost the same thing 45 years ago when I was an accounting major! I had only one class to go in order to graduate--tax auditing. But I decided to quit fooling myself and admit I had always wanted to be a teacher! So, I changed my major from accounting to education with a business minor and English minor. I left U of O and returned to EOU, got married, and took an extra year to graduate. What a good decision that was! I agree on the cubicle, number crunching thing, but was able to teach lots of students how to crunch numbers, as I taught accounting, math and English all at some point! It was the best decision I could have made! Good luck--be happy!
ReplyDeleteAren't epiphanies fantastic? I'm excited for you. I think you'll be fabulous at business management. Or maybe I'm just excited because you might do an internship in my neck of the woods sometime in the near future :)...
ReplyDeleteWhat's wrong with accountants? That was Steve does for a living. Just kidding. I'm glad things worked out for you and that you are happy.
ReplyDelete