Okay, not really. I do not think I could completely give up meat. I love hamburgers, ribs, and chicken. I might be able to "eat meat sparingly," but I know myself well enough to know I will most likely never completely eliminate meat from my diet. For now I will start by participating in Meatless Monday.
But recently Christopher and I have been watching various documentaries such as Food, Inc., Fresh, and Forks over Knives. These documentaries, particularly the latter, have made me rethink the foods I buy and what I eat. I realized I can still have the essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals necessary from a plant-based diet, while avoiding cholesterol and other negative results from a diet largely of meat.
After watching those documentaries, we both have committed to living a little bit healthier lives. Now we shop at the local Farmer's Market and participate in a co-op called Bountiful Baskets. We also started to preserve our food by dehydration (thanks to my mother for giving me the dehydrator) and freezing.
Also after watching those documentaries, I have been inspired to quit school and start my own greenhouse! Okay, again that is another lie. But at this moment, almost anything can motivate me to quit school. I am so burned out...
This is all the produce I received from my Bountiful Basket purchase - I paid $16.50 for all of this:
Here are some strawberries and bananas we dehydrated:
One morning we made an omelet garnished fresh tomatoes and squash with Italian Herbs and Seasoning:
Sadly I do not have the picture of Christopher's Egg Plant Lasagna he made on Saturday. It was delicious!
Maybe one day, when I am not a poor college-student anymore, I will start a greenhouse and a food blog. But until then, enjoy the inconsistent, random blog posts from me :)



Pass on the recipes! I sometimes try to be more meatless from time to time.... But I've been craving burgers lately (could just be summer, or it could be my pregnancy-induced anemia)... :)
ReplyDeleteIt's a good idea to try to eat healthy! Like you, I could never give up meat, but I eat a lot less of it than I used too! Your bountiful basket looks great--wish we had that program around here!
ReplyDelete