Last fall Audra convinced me to sign up for the South Jordan Half-Marathon. After that race, I kind of became addicted to running in half-marathons. Soon after the South Jordan race, I signed up for the Salt Lake City Half-Marathon. I tried to convince a lot of my friends to sign up with me, but for many of them, asking them to sign up with me, was like pulling teeth. As a matter of fact, I bet many of them would rather have their teeth pulled than to run 13.1 miles with me.
I was kind of nervous for this race because I train as well for this race as I did for the South Jordan race. I worried that I might injure myself, or just really struggle to finish. I definitely felt much more pain this time around and even became a little dizzy around mile eight or nine.
Luckily, there were funny signs like these which made me laugh off the pain:
As runners passed by him, he yelled, "This is by far the worst parade ever!"
Here I am towards the end of the race, about 60 seconds to the finish line:
After I completed the race, I jumped back in to run with my friend Alesha:
This is what I look like after 13.1 miles:
I am impressed with the medals they give to all those who completed the race:
Needless to say, I enjoyed the run, but I was extremely exhausted by the end and had two hurting knees. I decided to take a short nap afterwards that ended up being just over four hours!
Here is a comparison of my South Jordan Half-Marathon and my Salt Lake City Half-Marathon:
I was about 30 seconds per mile slower at the SLC race. If I would have ran the same pace as I did at the South Jordan race (6:51/mile) I would have placed 68th overall instead of 146th. It's amazing to me how 30 seconds per mile slower can make a difference of 78 spots.
Now I am trying to decide what half-marathon to run next. Sign up with me!







JorDan. You are really cool. I can't imagine myself signing up with you though. I'd probably die. Then you'd feel bad. Then I'd haunt you.
ReplyDeleteidahowildwoman.blogspot.com
I'll have to pass... but someday I will run a half marathon with you. (And by "with you" I mean, I'll run 3 or 4 minutes per mile slower than you, but I will be on the same route and eventually make it to the same finish line -- an hour later :)).
ReplyDeleteNice job! Wow, it is amazing how much 30 seconds per mile makes in the rankings. Randy and I did a half marathon last year around this time. It was a great feeling of accomplishment. Maybe I'll run one with you and Heather sometime. (And, I mean 3-4 minutes slower than Heather.)
ReplyDelete