My counselors and secretary are great guys and have strong testimonies (and they are much more serious than I am. I think they balance out my sarcastic personality). When it comes to having a testimony, keeping the commandments, and living the university's honor code, they are on the ball. But when it comes to filling their assignments, I have about as much luck as a coin toss if they will actually do it. Also, when it comes to punctuality...well, let's just say they don't have much.
Each week I would stop by their apartments a few minutes before our meeting to round them up for the meeting we have each Sunday morning at 9 am with our High Counselor. It seems they were always in the shower, or eating, or sleeping. So I began to come 10 minutes before the meeting would start. That didn't seem to work, so I tried 15 minutes. When that didn't work, I decided I would walk to my meeting alone and let them come when they do.
The next week I stopped by their apartments and only one my first counselor was ready. My second counselor was still in the shower and my secretary was no where to be found. Like I had planned, we I didn't wait for the others, but instead went to our meeting. My first counselor and I arrived on time at the meeting. Upon arriving my High Counselor said, "Where is your second counselor and secretary?" I responded and said, "My first counselor is on his way and I have no clue where my secretary is. We can just get started." Then my High Counselor said, "That sounds like somebody I know. That sounds like Cain. Are you your brother's keeper."
I wanted to respond, "Hell no, not this week. If you want to be the keeper of my presidency and knock on their doors every Sunday morning and drag them to this meeting, go right ahead." But of course I usually never speak my mind. I have found that usually gets me in trouble.
Despite the tardiness of my presidency and sometimes the lack of completing assignments, they are great guys. I do consider all of them friends. Even though they can be late and forget assignments, they have made great contributions to the Elders Quorum.
Odd... People are so pro personal responsibility in so many areas but then expect a certain amount of coddling in church matters. No one would expect you to be a personal alarm clock so you roommate could get to an early morning class, so why can't 20-something adults be expected to get to a Sunday meeting on time without someone being their mother?
ReplyDeleteWho made up that story anyway?? It's all part of the guilt conspiracy. I am very happy to be my own keeper.......maybe that's why I don't have a calling! One thing I have learned long ago....there are Marthas and there are Marys!! You should have sent that one back to the HC and then asked "which one are you?
ReplyDeleteI think you should go all "Cain" on the high counselor. Loser.
ReplyDelete