Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I really do love Brigham Young University-Idaho. But sometimes I HATE the culture that comes from living in a community that is largely LDS and attending a school that is 99% LDS.
Here at BYU-Idaho everywhere you turn, you are bombarded the dreaded M word...marriage. Students give presentations comparing dating to a free market economy. Professors announce engagements of their students in class. Ecclesiastical leaders give talks on dating and marriage and asking you about dating in EVERY interview.
When I first arrived this Fall, I had an interview with my Stake President who asked about my dating life. I told him I went on a lot of dates when I came home from my mission last winter, but didn't go on many this summer. He then said, "I expect by the next time I meet with you, you will be dating someone."
A few weeks later I went to the Temple and while I was waiting for my turn, and old-man temple worker struck up a conversation with me. When he found out I had been home from my mission for nine months, he said, "Oh, so you are practically married." When I said I wasn't, he then for the next five minutes felt the need to tell me why I should be married.
To combat the constant bombardment of the M word, I usually result to sarcasm and jokes about the matter. I did so to my roommate who is also my Elders Quorum president. Yesterday our priesthood lesson was on the New and Everlasting covenant of marriage. At the end, my roommate/Elders Quorum president then said, "There are some of you in here who make light of marriage and are procrastinating. You feel like you can wait and it will happen later. I call on you to repent of those thoughts now!"
I can't remember what else he said. But I felt pretty singled out. The next time someone harasses me about the M word, I will respond, "My mom told me to wait three years...do you want me to break the ten commandments and not honor my father and mother?"
Do you think that will shut them up?
P.S. I really do like my roommate. We actually have a lot in common (except I wouldn't call him to repentance on something like that).
I can relate Jordan. I did afterall spend 12 years attending singles wards! I wouldn't worry about the pressure because I think it is far better to take your time and wait for the right person than to just get married for the sake of being married. Enjoy dating, and if you find the right person, you'll know when the time is right.
ReplyDeleteSee, if you moved down here for the winter, you wouldn't get so much harrassment. You have to do what feels right for you and shame on those that "judge" you!! I think you're wonderful, take your time.
ReplyDeleteTake your time and find the right person--she will be very lucky to have you. And, remember, there are a lot of "older girls" out there who are a lot more mature than those 18-19 year olds!
ReplyDeleteHave you thought of reminding them about the girl with whom you have a long distance relationship? wink wink :). Might work. (And while some might consider it technically to be bearing false witness, I think it'll be okay).
ReplyDeletePlease refer all "M" comments to me...give them my phone number and I will be happy to set them all straight. Some people love to pontificate. Don't let them fool you into thinking that they know more than you.
ReplyDeletehahaha. . sorry you are being bombarded! Marriage is wonderful and hard at the same time, but I would recommend for sure waiting until that 3 year mark. . I'm all for honoring thy father and thy mother. :)
ReplyDeleteI totally feel you Jordan. I'll be your "long distance lover" if you'll be mine...
ReplyDeleteI know a cute, skinny, blonde who LOVES you! No one has to know that she is your 3 year old niece!
ReplyDelete