
This resource is so precious when you find a good picking spot, you don't share it with others. You safely guard the spot with you life, and carefully preserve the berries.

When the berries (gold) were washed, we would place a layer on a cookie sheet to freeze. When the berries were frozen individually, then we would measure an undisclosed amount into freezer bags. This process would help the berries from freezing together into one glob.

The berries would then be rationed out seven at a time, to preserve the joy all year until the next season.
Also, this summer was the first time for me to go backpacking. It was a short trip only staying one night, but it was still fun.


I thought this was a good view. The sun was about to go down. We started the trip a in the evening because of work schedules, so by the time we actually got to camp it was pretty dark.

Here is our arrival into the valley we were looking for:

How many Mormons does it take to start a camp fire? The entire camp, but Grace and I will take the credit.

One last thing. What would a camping trip be without some kind of joke. At one point we were separated because we weren't sure which path to take. I went one way and the rest of the group went the other. Luckily the path converged back together, but I arrived first. So I hid in the trees waiting for their arrival. This is what happened next:
All in all it was a good summer. I was able to visit all my siblings at one point and relax.
Now I'm mad, we just plain ran out of time and didn't make it to the Huckleberry patches this year. To top it off, I ran out of my jam preserve this spring. Well, there's always next year!! Glad you were able to put some fun into your summer and not just all work!
ReplyDeleteAh... the purple jewel of the mountain.... I haven't decided what to do with my little hoard yet :)....
ReplyDeleteWith the 4 gallons that Reed and I picked I made some lovely huckleberry jelly (which took 1/2 gallon). And some to die for syrup. The rest are still in the freezer waiting for pancakes. Maybe I will share a little with the rest of the kids.
ReplyDeletewow! I wish you would share your spot with your FAVORITE AUNT! (well-at least your ELDEST AUNT ;)
ReplyDelete